The Scientific Programme Committee invites you to submit abstracts for poster presentation at WCP 2014. We will accept abstracts on a range of topic related to pharmacology research, education and practice (see list of topic categories below).
- Deadline for late breaker submissions: 31 May 2014, received electronically not later than 23:59 South African Time (GMT +02:00).
- Notification of acceptance decision: Mid-June 2014 via email. The Programme Committee may select a small minority of abstracts for oral presentation, which will be negotiated with presenters.
- Format: Abstracts should be submitted in English consisting of four paragraphs with the following headings: background, methods, results, conclusions. These paragraphs should briefly describe the objectives of the study or investigation, the basic procedures (study subjects and analytical methods), the main findings (giving specific data and the statistical significance, if possible), and the principal conclusion. The abstract body text has a limit is 350 words.
All abstracts should be submitted electronically via the online abstract form on this website. You can partially complete, save and return later to edit and finalise. Once your abstract is ready, you can submit, whereafter no changes can be made.
SELECTING YOUR ABSTRACT CATEGORY ON THE ONLINE ABSTRACT SUBMISSION FORM
To organise the extensive list of abstract categories, we grouped them into several MAIN CATEGORIES, each subdivided into several SUBCATEGORIES. You are requested to select an appropriate subcategory to best describe your abstract topic. Therefore, select a main category, followed by a subcategory. You may select a second subcategory, which may fall under the same or a different main category. Please find below the list of the main categories:
List of Categories:
- Drug discovery & development
- Fundamental pharmacological mechanisms
- Drugs and the brain
- Cardiovascular pharmacology
- Drugs for infectious diseases
- Drug metabolism and disposition
- Endocrine pharmacology
- Specialised systems pharmacology
- Age-related pharmacology
- Pharmacology and technology
- Clinical pharmacology
- Pharmacology education
- Regulatory affairs & management
- Veterinary pharmacology
Here are examples of the selection of two subcategories:
Example 1 (one main category)
[Drugs and the brain] (main category)
[Drugs and the brain] (main category]
Example 2 (two different main categories)
[Drugs and the brain] (main category)
[Oncology] (main category]
[Cytotoxic agents] (subcategory)
IUPHAR YOUNG INVESTIGATOR AWARDS
Applications are invited for the IUPHAR Young Investigator Awards, an important initiative to involve young scientists in the symposia program of the IUPHAR congresses.
The awards are open to pharmacologists who are in the first 10 years of the research career after obtaining their highest terminal degree (i.e. Ph.D, M.D.). Candidates who wish to compete for this award should indicate in the appropriate place on the abstract form that they wish their abstract to be considered for an IUPHAR Young Investigator Award. The young investigator award candidate must be first author on the submitted abstract.
Ten contributions will be selected by the IUPHAR Executive Committee. Those selected will be invited to present their work in a 10-minute oral presentation (plus 5 min discussion) in the dedicated symposium. Scheduling will be confirmed in the final program. After the symposium, the Executive Committee will select three award recipients, based on the candidates' capacity to present experimental findings and defend their conclusions to an international audience.
There will be three awards:
Gold Award - $1,000 USD
Silver Award - $500 USD
Bronze Award - $250 USD
Awards will be presented at the closing ceremony and featured in the post-congress issue of the IUPHAR newsletter, Pharmacology International.
For full information and guidelines regarding preparation and presentation of your accepted poster, click here
Should you require assistance or more information on abstract submission or presentation contact:
Scatterlings Conference & Events
Tel: +27 11-463-5085